Friday, January 23, 2009

Laughter is the best medicine

As I look back to the tough times in my life, I recall a lot of laughter. I lived with my friend Jamie for a while and her room-mate Amy when I was going through my divorce. I remember laughing until my ribs hurt. We would sit and talk, play games, watch silly movies and just laugh. I seriously think that is how I made it through without jumping off a bridge.

Jamie sat here with me the one evening when Jeremy was at a hockey game with her husband. We ended up laughing so hard that tears were coming out our eyes. And, all we were doing was talking! We need more times like that.

My friend Jenny laughs at everything. And, she is one of the most positive people I know. I clearly see why her life is so much different than someone who is negative. We all have our bad days, but it is how we chose to deal with it that makes the difference.

If I ever need a pick-me-up, I call or email a friend. I will send a quick silly message, even if I am not feeling silly. Or, I will just let them know I need some cheering up. It works every time.

Recently I was faced with a situation that I was really not mentally prepared for.....at all. In fact it was a very sore subject that I had tried to forget about and not deal with. In a major panic I emailed and called my closest friends. I even ran to my neighbors house to vent after venting to my sister-in-law. Almost everyone had all positive things to say. Their love and support helped me more than I can express. In some emails were things that made me crack up in laughter. Others were a combination of inspiration, advise and support. Of course I kept reading the ones that would make me laugh. It feels so good to be able to laugh off what seems a horrible situation. Now I can say that I am through the situation, over it and moved on. It is amazing the ease one can feel once they let go of something they have carried with them for most of their life. Laughter is what helped me deal and get over it.

I get these inspirational quotes sent to me everyday through email from The Secret. Today's was: Be loyal to what you love, be true to the earth, fight your enemies with passion and laughter.-Edward Abbey

Laughter truly is the best medicine.



No comments:

Post a Comment